Significant changes are coming to UK immigration policy in Spring 2024 (March 1 to May 31), aiming to reduce net migration. These changes will impact various individuals planning to live, work, or study in the UK, including social care workers, international students, and families. Let us explore these changes in detail:

Impact on Social Care Workers

Starting Spring 2024, social care workers applying for the Health and Care Worker Visa will no longer be able to bring their dependents (spouses, children, etc.) with them. This could discourage potential applicants who rely on family support or have children’s education to consider.

Changes for International Students

International students seeking a student visa will face restrictions on bringing dependents. Only those enrolled in research postgraduate programs will be allowed to bring dependents. Additionally, the rule allowing certain professions to be hired at 20% below the standard rate will be eliminated, potentially impacting job opportunities for international students.

Adjustments to Minimum Household Income

The government plans to significantly raise the minimum household income requirement for a Skilled Worker Visa and a Family Visa. For a Skilled Worker Visa, the minimum income will rise from £25,600 to £38,700, while the minimum household income for a Family Visa will increase from £18,600 to £38,700. This could make it difficult for some families to meet the requirements and bring their spouses or dependents to the UK.

Other Changes

Several other changes are on the horizon, including adjustments to the Immigration Health Surcharge. The fee is currently £624 for adults and £470 for children per year, and changes to the amount or exemption criteria are possible.

Advice for Visa Applicants

Apply for a dependent visa soon before new regulations in Spring 2024. The UK immigration landscape is constantly evolving, and staying informed is crucial.


These proposed UK immigration policy changes have significant implications for individuals planning to live, work, or study in the UK. Stay updated on UK immigration regulations to navigate the evolving landscape.

Additional Resources

We recommend seeking professional legal advice for specific immigration matters.