Pilau, also known as pilaf, pulao, or polow, is a rice dish that is popular in many parts of the world, including the Middle East, Central Asia, and East Africa. The origins of pilau are somewhat disputed, but it is thought to have originated in the Middle East and spread to other regions through trade and cultural exchange.
In many parts of the world, pilau is a popular dish that is enjoyed on special occasions or as a hearty main course. It is made by cooking rice with a variety of ingredients, such as vegetables, meats, and spices, to create a flavourful and aromatic dish.
Chicken pilau is a variation of the traditional dish that includes chicken as one of the main ingredients. The chicken is typically cooked with rice and other ingredients, such as onions, garlic, spices, and broth, to create a flavourful and satisfying meal. Chicken pilau is often served with a variety of accompaniments, such as yoghurt, pickled vegetables, and fresh herbs, and can be enjoyed hot or cold. Here is a recipe for making chicken pilau:
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (optional)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Rinse the rice in cold water until the water runs clear. In a medium saucepan, bring the rice, 2 cups of water, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 18-20 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, and chilli powder (if using) and cook for an additional minute.
- Cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces and add it to the saucepan. Cook until the chicken is no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, water, and salt to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in the frozen peas (if using) and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the chopped cilantro (if using). Serve the chicken and sauce over the rice. Enjoy!